LANSING (WWJ) – A one-year pilot program set up in five counties will allow Michigan State Police to conduct roadside drug tests.
First Lt. Michael Shaw says if a driver is pulled over for a traffic offense and shows signs of being under the influence of drugs –specially trained “drug recognition experts” will conduct traditional field sobriety tests.
Next, the officers will use a saliva-based testing to check drivers to see if they’ve smoked marijuana or used heroin or cocaine.
“Were seeing throughout the state of Michigan there’s an increase in both drugged driving and drugged driving fatalities,” Shaw told WWJ Newsradio 950’s Zahra Huber.
The program was approved in legislation passed in Lansing as statistics show the total number of traffic crashes involving drugs has reached a decade-high in Michigan.
Police statistics show the total number of traffic crashes involving drugs has reached a decade-high in Michigan.
“So what this bill does is allows us to have another step in field sobriety process, or the probable cause process, to arrest some of these drugged drivers.”
Shaw said troopers will not be pulling people over indiscriminately.
“Some of the concerns were we were going to just start randomly testing people, and that’s not the case,” he said. “There’s still going to be probable cause for a traffic stop — just like it was….This is just an added component to the probable cause portion of it.”
The program is expected to begin later this year.
Shaw said police have not yet decided on the five participating counties.
Source: CBS Detroit
more recommended stories
- Betsy DeVos’s Due Process
The Left Is Outraged That She.
- Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Patient Can Sue Employer for Discrimination
On Monday, July 17, 2017, Massachusetts.
- Tell AAA To Stop Lying About Legalization
by NORML July 18, 2017 .
- Bodycam Video Allegedly Shows Baltimore PD ‘Plant’ Drugs
Body camera video produced Wednesday appears.
- Landmark Study Shows Legal Marijuana Sales Reduce Crime
A new study published in the.
- Hollywood Is Mourning The Loss Of Martin Landau
(CNN)Martin Landau, 89, a character actor.
- Sanders: Democratic Party Has Been Turning Its Back On The Working Class [VIDEO]
Sen. Bernie Sanders said Donald Trump’s.
- Global Climate Change Leader Christiana Figueres Joins The B Team
06/13/2017 The B Team announced today.
- Women Cannabis Entrepreneurs Gather In L.A. for Empowerment Summit
https://assets.entrepreneur.com/content/16x9/1300/20170712214535-GettyImages-581032337.jpeg Women have moved into the.
- NYC Language Access Law Now Covers 100K More
Roughly 200 immigrant advocates and New.