McDonald’s (NYSE:MCD) has already admitted that its latest innovation is essentially useless. But the company still hopes that it serves an important purpose for its marketing efforts.
The product is called a “frork.” It’s essentially a fork, but with french fries instead of prongs. The purpose? According to an infomercial type video from McDonald’s, you can use it to pick up and eat all the toppings and condiments that fall out of McDonald’s new signature crafted sandwiches.
The video features Anthony Sullivan, “preposterous product pitching powerhouse” delivering a passionate presentation for the new product. But while McDonald’s did actually create a limited number of frorks for this promotion, the whole thing is clearly aimed more at getting attention than promoting the actual product.
Humor is the key for McDonald’s in this case. They’ve created a concept and a video that are fairly ridiculous and aimed at getting customers to laugh while also building just enough intrigue to actually get them to try the new signature sandwiches.
Humor in Marketing
But humor can be a tricky thing for businesses. If people don’t “get” the infomercial or if it just doesn’t strike the right chord with customers, then all of those marketing (and in this case actual product creation) resources will have gone to waste.
That doesn’t mean that businesses shouldn’t use humor in marketing. But it’s not always as easy as it looks. And it requires a really strong understanding of your audience if you want to be successful.
This article, “McDonald’s Frork Promotion Shows Gamble of Humor in Marketing” was first published on Small Business Trends
more recommended stories
- Who’s Going to Play The Superbowl In Minnesota?
The NFL just began but eyes.
- Producer Reveals What Makes His New Military Drama ‘Authentic’
Screenwriter Dean Georgaris had an interest.
- Dr. Oz Says Medical Marijuana Could Help Solve Opioid Addiction
Dr. Oz is one of.
- EPA Refuses To Send Staff Needed To Clean Most Toxic Waste Sites
Ethan Barton Some of the most.
- Earthquake Demolishes Mexico City Buildings, 42 Confirmed Dead
USGS TIM PEARCE Energy Reporter At.
- Best places to see graffiti in Toronto
BY: NADIA ZAIDI Growing up in.
- Millennials Not Replacing Older Business Owners, Stats Say
As older entrepreneurs retire, the.
- Barbaric acid attacks are becoming part of a growing gang problem in the UK
BY: NADIA ZAIDI When we think.
- After Seeing France’s Military Parade, Trump Wants An Even Bigger One
After seeing France’s military parade in.
- Sanders: I’ll Commit To Joining Democratic Party When It’s Open Enough For Independents
Sen. Bernie Sanders introducing his.