Friday, June 16, 2017
On Wednesday, a Ireland â€” succeeding , who confirmed his resignation on Tuesday. He becomes the first openly gay Taoiseach in Irish history.premier candidate and doctor was elected â€” Prime Minister of
In Wednesday’s election, 55 members of the Irish parliamentvoted for Varadkar as the 14th Taoiseach, the head of government; 50 against; and 45 abstained.
Also, in, the current , head of state, presented Varadkar with the seals of Taoiseach and the Government.
In Wednesday’s speech, Varadkar acknowledged his predecessor Kenny for helping to rebuild the country and legalize same-sex marriage.
In May, Kenny, aged 66, announced his retirement as Taoiseach and, after 15 years of service, the leader of Fine Gael. Kenny has served the parliamentary as also(TD), a member of the parliament, for since he was elected TD for in 1975, succeeding Kenny’s . On Tuesday, Kenny confirmed his resignation ending his premiership after six years of premiership.
In an election on June 2, Varadkar wasthe Fine Gael premier candidate by 60 percent of the votes. His political opponent was voted for premiership by 40 percent and lost. Varadkar received the electoral college vote, derived from votes by party members, local representatives and parliamentarians. About 70 percent of Fine Gael parliamentary members favoured Varadkar: 51 of 73, while 22 of 73 favoured Coveney. However, 65 percent of overall party members favoured Coveney.
One week later, on June 9, after Theresa May‘s Conservative Party won this year’s general election in the United Kingdom but lost the majority, Varadkar said the UK election results signified that hard Brexit lacks a “strong mandate”, calling this “an opportunity for Ireland.” He also said he will negotiate with the UK over Northern Ireland.
Yesterday, Varadkar combined two departments of Finance and of Public Expenditure into one, and appointed new Cabinet ministers, including his rival Coveney as foreign minister.
Leo Eric Varadkar, 38, was born on January 18, 1979 in Dublin, Ireland to his Indian father and Irish mother, a doctor and nurse respectively, who have lived in Ireland since the 1970s, where homosexuality was illegal until the 1990s.
Varadkar, as a 20-year-oldmedical student, campaigned in the 1999 local election and lost. In 2003, Varadkar became a councilor aged 24 to replace , who had to resign due to a conflicting parliamentary office.
In 2007, Varadkar was elected TD. While Ireland suffered from ongoing, Fine Gael started leading the country in 2011, and Varadkar has since served as minister for social protection; health; and transport, tourism and sport.
In 2015, Varadkar came out as gay in a(RTÃ‰) interview, months before the country legalised same-sex marriage by referendum under Taoiseach Kenny.
Alecturer Theresa Reidy told Reuters, “When you’re Taoiseach, you can’t speak as open and freely as when you’re a maverick, straight-shooting minister. If he [Varadkar] doesn’t temper his more colorful contributions, that could actually become a liability quite quickly.” Reidy further said he has relatively little experience despite having held three different cabinet posts.
Varadkar’s partner is a doctor in Dublin. Varadkar is about a year younger thanPresident .
- Chris Page. “Leo Varadkar profile: Ireland’s youngest PM” â€”Â , June 16, 2017
- “Finance and Public Expenditure combined as Cabinet is named” â€”Â , June 15, 2017
- “Leo Varadkar elected as Republic of Ireland’s Taoiseach” â€”Â , June 14, 2017
- Daniel McConnell. “Latest: Enda Kenny warns Leo Varadkar of ‘huge difference’ in new role” â€”Â , June 13, 2017
- “Enda Kenny set to resign as Taoiseach today to be replaced by Leo Varadkar” â€”Â , June 13, 2017
- “Vote demonstrates risks with calling snap election, says Varadkar” â€”Â , June 9, 2017
- Sarah Bardon. “Leo Varadkar: The man who evolved into a taoiseach” â€”Â , June 2, 2017
- Jane McIntosh. “Ireland’s governing Fine Gael elects Leo Varadkar as new leader” â€”Â , June 2, 2017
- AFP. “Leo Varadkar picked to become Ireland’s new PM: party” â€”Â , June 2, 2017
- Padraic Halpin and Helen Popper. “Leo Varadkar: Son of an immigrant set to become Ireland’s youngest PM” â€”Â , June 2, 2017
Source: Wiki News
more recommended stories
- Antifa: A Look at the Antifascist Movement Confronting White Supremacists in the Streets
This is a rush transcript. Copy.
- Bree Newsome: Charlottesville is Latest Chapter in Long U.S. History of White Supremacist Terror
This is a rush transcript. Copy.
- Sanders Responds to Trump Press Conference
Tuesday, August 15, 2017 BURLINGTON, Vt.,.
- Bernie Sanders Tells Big Pharma: Stop Making Americans Pay Twice
While both political parties have denounced.
- Civil Asset Forfeiture Is Not Policing The USA
In America you’re innocent until proven.
- “In a Heartbeat” – New Animated Short Film About A Boy Coming Out
“In a Heartbeat” – Animated Short.
- Ethics Watchdog Files Complaint Against Wasserman Schultz
The Foundation for Accountability and Civic.
- Big-name union supporters speak out with vote less than two days away
CANTON, MS (Mississippi News Now) –.
- Maine Governor Begs Feds to “Bring the Hammer Down” on His Own State
Gov. Paul LePage is doing it.
- YES!!As a Welcoming and Affirming church, and as a…
YES!! As a Welcoming and Affirming.