An Israeli government committee gave an initial nod on Sunday for the export of medical marijuana in what could be a windfall for companies in Israel, widely regarded as a leader in research in the field.
A government statement announcing the vote said it could take months for the legislation to make its way through parliament.
In the United States, 28 states have legalized marijuana for medical use and since 2012, Colorado, Alaska, California, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon and Washington, D.C. have also approved marijuana for recreational use. The market there, by some estimates, will reach $50 billion over the next decade.
Israel is widely regarded as one of the world leaders in medical marijuana research, even though the local market is small. Only 23,000 people have Health Ministry permits to purchase medical cannabis from nine licensed suppliers, creating a market of $15 million to $20 million at most.
Saul Kaye, CEO of iCAN, a private cannabis research hub in Israel, said there are about 50 Israeli medical marijuana companies active in many aspects of the industry, from agriculture to delivery devices, such as inhalers.
Kaye estimated that international investments in Israeli companies reached about $100 million in 2016.
Last month, Israel moved toward decriminalizing small-scale personal use of marijuana and authorities are supportive of research. Israeli Health Minister Yakov Litzman supports medical cannabis usage and has introduced steps to ease its prescription and sale.
Israeli growers work together with scientific institutions in clinical trials and development of strains that treat a variety of illnesses and disorders.
(Reporting by Maayan Lubell; Editing by Jeffrey Heller and Raissa Kasolowsky)
more recommended stories
- Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Patient Can Sue Employer for Discrimination
On Monday, July 17, 2017, Massachusetts.
- Tell AAA To Stop Lying About Legalization
by NORML July 18, 2017 .
- Landmark Study Shows Legal Marijuana Sales Reduce Crime
A new study published in the.
- Women Cannabis Entrepreneurs Gather In L.A. for Empowerment Summit
https://assets.entrepreneur.com/content/16x9/1300/20170712214535-GettyImages-581032337.jpeg Women have moved into the.
- Monthly Marijuana Sales Of $100 Million The New Normal in Colorado
Published: Jul 13, 2017, 6:53 am.
- Flash Flood Watch issued July 13 at 11:06AM EDT until July 13 at 8:00PM EDT by NWS
NOAA-NWS-ALERTS-MA12585C313488.FlashFloodWatch.12585C3E2A80MA.BOXFFABOX.ba6a977c0c3a5c9f0ee87b7aecb70600 firstname.lastname@example.org 2017-07-13T11:06:00-04:00 Actual Alert Public.
- Federal ban on marijuana has created regulatory vacuum says new study
Published: Jul 12, 2017, 7:50 am.
- Sessions Plan To Make Street Drugs Less Potent And More Expensive Is Deeply Flawed
Published: Jul 12, 2017, 10:47 am.
- $20 billion in revenue: Survey finds 1-in-3 millennials have used Venmo for drugs
(AP Image) According to a new.
- Next Up For Vegas Marijuana Dispensaries: Competing For Market Share
Published: Jul 11, 2017, 10:04 am.