Donald John Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States on Tuesday in a stunning culmination of an explosive, populist and polarizing campaign that took relentless aim at the institutions and long-held ideals of American democracy.
The surprise outcome, defying late polls that showed Hillary Clinton with a modest but persistent edge, threatened convulsions throughout the country and the world, where skeptics had watched with alarm as Mr. Trump’s unvarnished overtures to disillusioned voters took hold.
The triumph for Mr. Trump, 70, a real estate developer-turned-reality television star with no government experience, was a powerful rejection of the establishment forces that had assembled against him, from the world of business to government, and the consensus they had forged on everything from trade to immigration.
The results amounted to a repudiation, not only of Mrs. Clinton, but of President Obama, whose legacy is suddenly imperiled. And it was a decisive demonstration of power by a largely overlooked coalition of mostly blue-collar white and working-class voters who felt that the promise of the United States had slipped their grasp amid decades of globalization and multiculturalism.
more recommended stories
- One Killed, Eight Wounded in Church Shooting in Tennessee
by Daniella Silva One person was.
- WH Scraps Obama-Era Guidance On Investigating Campus Sexual Assault
Carolyn Kaster/AP By Maria Danilova PublishedSeptember.
- Netanyahu at the U.N.
Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu said of.
- First Pictures Of Arrested Tube Bomb Suspect
These are the first pictures of.
- Racially-Charged Mayhem in St. Louis: At Least 10 Officers Injured
Protests in St. Louis, Missouri, turned.
- Crude Bomb Explodes in London Underground, Injuring 22
(CN) At least 22 people were.
- Hillary Clinton Smears Bernie Sanders In What Happened
Recent Posts Recent Comments SocraticGadfly: Oh,.
- Sessions: “We Must Create And Foster A Culture That’s Hostile To Drug Use”
Published: Aug 30, 2017, 9:56 am.
- Texas Lt. Governor: This Is Not the Time’ to Criticize the President’
Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R).
- Afghanistan: UN Mission Condemns Deadly Attack On Shi’a Mosque In Kabul
26 August 2017 The United Nations.