Colorado Town Finds THC In Water, Warns Residents Not To Drink It
Authorities in a small Colorado town warned residents on Thursday not to drink, cook, or bathe with water because it has been contaminated with marijuana’s psychoactive chemical.
The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said there was evidence of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in the water supply, the ingredient that gets cannabis users high.
“Earlier this afternoon Hugo Public Works notified Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office that there was evidence of THC in the Town of Hugo’s water supply,” the sheriff’s officesaid in a statement posted to Facebook. “We are asking everyone on Hugo water to avoid drinking, cooking, and bathing in Hugo Water.”
Hugo is located about 100 miles southeast of Denver and has a population of about 730 people. The town prohibits marijuana growing, cultivation, or selling, accordingto the Associated Press.
The statement also said people could still use the bathroom, and that bottled drinking water was on its way to the community.
The sheriff’s office said officials tested the water after complaints, but said no one had symptoms.
One out of five wells showed “signs of tampering,” Capt. Michael Yowell of Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said during a press conference Thursday.
A field test kit was used to test the water in the well, which found signs of THC. Yowell said it was possible that the test was showing a false positive and would be further tested.
Yowell said the first well had been sealed, but it will take time to clear out the water already in the pipelines. He also said the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and Federal Bureau of Investigation were involved in the probe.
Hugo residents who think they might have been sickened by the water should call Rocky Mountain Poison Control, Lincoln County’s Health Director Susan Kelly said.