NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — Just 6 years old, Akash Vukoti is by far the youngest contestant at this year’s National Spelling Bee. And he’s not even a little intimidated by all those seasoned veterans.
He was 2 years old when his family discovered his almost-scary talent. He’s not much on chitchat. Does he love spelling?
“Yeah,” he responds.
But he loves to show off. His favorite word: pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
Yes, the longest word in the dictionary and for Akash it is, literally, child’s play.
So how does he do it? He told CBS News the words appear to him.
“So when I say a letter, the letter in that word will disappear,” he explained.
His father was thrilled to tell us that’s the first time Akash revealed the whole secret.
But we had one more question: Can he spell the word adorable?
And Akash is adorable, even in defeat. Late Wednesday, he misspelled bacteriolytic and is out of the tournament.
He got a standing ovation — and you can bet he’ll be back next year.
more recommended stories
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.